Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
Makes 3 dozen mini cupcakes (or 12 regular)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar will work too)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line mini muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a large bowl sift together cake flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla and water until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Note: batter will be very thin!
4. Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with batter. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, 15 minutes for mini or 20 - 25 minutes for regular size cupcakes. Let cupcakes cool completely.
5. Dust cupcakes with unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered sugar just before serving.
*Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 1 month in airtight containers.